Saturday 2 January 2010

The silent call from the arctic on the Cathedral steps

On a plinth beside the steps of Copenhagen Cathedral was a lifesize ice sculture of a polar bear. It was translucent and really beautiful. It's sculptor, Olaf Storo, and the singer, Berit Meland, who wrote the accompanying song (see below) stood below the bear as everyone arrived for the service officiated by the Archbishop of Canterbury on Sunday 13th December. Berit sang out in a loud, clear voice while people waited to go in and it was haunting. I have typed the song below as personally I think the words are gorgeous. There are other ice bear projects too, one was in a square in the centre of Copenhagen by the WWF exhibitions and another melted in Trafalgar Square over the same period. I've put the links below, partly because I am getting clever enough now with blogging to know how to - !









The Silent Call from the Arctic

For the first time ....

For the first time my eye beholds Your creation's wonder

Teach us to amend our ways before it goes asunder

Open up your heart so that our eyes can truly see

That earth is where we live, our only destiny

I hope, I trust, that you and I can find a cure

The answer lies close by your side, my heart is sure,

Here, all alone, I find the time to sit and ponder

That earth is where we live our lives of woe and wonder

Now is the time to act! Come, join the cause my friends

Our chosen home, the earth, on our help depends!

http://www.icebearproject.org/expedition.htm http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/12/melting-bear-square.php


No comments:

Post a Comment