Friday 15 January 2010

The nights before leaving

The night before I left for Copenhagen, when everything I was taking was neatly packed in a tiny rucksack and everything I was leaving was ironed, folded and stored alphabetically in the freezer or the wardrobe, I was twiddling my thumbs wondering what on earth I could do to while away those last few hours (I may be mis-remembering one or two organisational details) when Mark calmly suggested I could spend a few minutes marking up the places I would arrive and where I was going to stay. Hah - that's just for sissies but I humoured him nonetheless and we printed out 3 overlapping sheets from google maps. I jigsawed them together with tape and annotated the key areas - the kitchens, the legal team, the warehouse accommodation...



Discovering fellow climate campers, I'd consulted it twice before we'd even left London Victoria Coach station and within the first couple of days it was rag-eared from frequent consultations to help others and myself because it turned out to cover a larger areas than most of the - otherwise very excellent - free maps. It was quite invaluable. Being always to hand and a good size, the back also got liberally scribbled on with addresses, emails, pieces of advice and recommendations ...


The night before I left Copenhagen for home I lost my map! I didn't discover this until part-way home and hoped I had put it into my packing but upon investigation realised it really had gone, along with all the emails so I was quite sad. But now it is on its way home!

3 comments:

  1. that is just brilliantly written, so you, tiny rucksack, all sorted way ahead of time, thumbs for twiddling, time aplenty...

    hahaha, if i didn't hate all the acronyms, I'd have to to say, lmao.

    ReplyDelete
  2. in the blogs of note, you will see there is one called (well, dont know how often they change it, it was there!) Copenhagen cycling chic. I thought it might be of interest to you, but it is just of girls cycling in Copenhagen, with high heeels on! you must look at sleeptalkin man though, he is in the blogs of note. Hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love that you look in on this sometimes and comment - thanks! will follow up these links - they sound fun xx

    ReplyDelete