Wednesday 23 December 2009

Non-violent civil disobedience: crowd control issues

My mind is kaleidoscopically processing so many rich experiences of the past 12 days in Copenhagen and I want to share my thoughts with my friends, previous and newly acquired, to be a small part of finding ways forward on certain matters prior to the next big meeting in Mexico in November or December 2010.

One issue which is big in my heart initially surrounds policing and crowd control and non-violent civil disobedience. I have potentially started the conversation with the Danish Government. They may or may not decide to continue it but just in case they do, I would like to have something worthwhile to say. One idea I have is to bring together first-hand accounts of being on the 'front line' of the clashes and that the most valuable thing would be to be able access information about how police are debriefed and helped to deal with their own experiences. For example some of them will have been spraying chilli pepper spray at very close range into faces of young people probably of a similar age to their own children, neices ... It is fairly easy but also very important to harvest information from those on the marches and at the events eg Christiana on Monday 14th. but it will be more challenging to work out how to get a broader range of feedback. I welcome all comments, advice and stories and everything I receive (which will be used free of names and identifying information) will help continue to shape my way forward.

I'm so new to blogging I don't even know how people respond yet - ! - but most of you know my email address to write to, otherwise if you can get me a quick message with contact details I can get in touch for your stories, etc. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment